Pages

Monday, January 26, 2015

Mirror Friends

As most babies do all three of you loved cooing and giggling at yourselves in the mirror. Later when you were walking you'd often journey to our bedroom to your daddy and mine's full length mirror. You'd play rousing games of peek-a-boo with your reflections. You'd slap your hands onto the cool glass, and laugh with glee. 

You've grown, as have your techniques. You've all come to realize now that you can stand on top of the closed toilet seat lid and hoist yourselves upon our bathroom counter. Or even climb our cabinet handles as a makeshift ladder, though I know you are skeaky enough not to get caught. 

There above our L-shaped, corner counter run two huge, counter to ceiling mirrors following suit. Every time I look at the layout I see an outdated mess in need of resolving. You girls, though, see something different. Something wonderful. Something that can only be seen with the eyes of an innocent, imaginative child.

You see what I cannot. Your reflections, while they still captivate you, are no longer just reflections. No, they have transformed into mirror friends. 

I watch you as you play with your mirror friends. You guys gush about those mirror image girls knowing your exact dance routines, liking all the same things as you, and knowing just what to say to still make you giggle with glee. 

I can't help but notice that a lot of your playing has nothing to do with outward appearances. Though when it does those friends of yours are in full agreement that "yes, you do look marvelous". Or silly. Or whatever look you are currently trying to achieve. 

I look on, as I fix my hair and apply makeup, secretly celebrating another day of you seeing nothing but love in your mirror image. You see nothing in need of fixing or covering. You see a the girl staring back at you as a whole beautiful person, inside and out.

I know that every day you are growing, and I love witnessing it, but with every passing day I also know you are inching closer to outgrowing your mirror friends. I know that one day you won't look at yourselves in the mirror and ask questions fully expecting answers. That you may look in the mirror, and see nothing but you, your outward appearance.  

It will be bittersweet, for every stage that ends a new one is sure to begin, and it is a triumphant feeling tinged with a tiny bit of saddness to watch the seasons of childhood change. My biggest hope for you is that even when you out grow mirror friends that that girl, your reflection, will always show you as much love as she does now. 

I hope you never outgrow seeing yourself as a creature of beauty, as a whole picture. I hope when you stare yourself down you see more than hair and eyes. I hope you never lose the ability to see your passions, strengths, characteristics, and dreams when faced with yourself. 

I hope that girl will always be your friend. That she will keep you from second guessing yourself. That you always know she is on your side, cheering you on. That what you see in your reflection is still someone with the ability to make you smile. 

I hope you retain the knowledge that what makes your reflection from others different is also what makes you an individual. That you never wish to see someone else's features where they don't belong...on you. I hope you celebrate what sets you apart  from others, as well as them from you, because there can only be one you. 

I hope you know what's on the outside for all to see doesn't make you worthy or unworthy. That you know true beauty is letting your spirit shine as brightly as your smile. That true beauty is being strong and confident enough to allow others to do the same in your presence. 

Because, girls, the truth is no one ever loves someone for their eyes, face, or clothes. We all love a slew of people who look physically nothing alike. What makes up beauty, what makes someone dear to your heart, is everything that lies within. 

I hope you learn to take care of yourself, to be comfortable, and confident in your own skin, to love the body you are in, as well as the soul it houses. That being pretty is never at the top of your priority list. That you just feel pretty being you, without striving for it. That you instead spend that energy on fulfilling your wildest hopes and dreams. That you put yourself into your passions. 

That you grow into the sort of person that seeks out beauty in everyone you meet, and can be found building up those around you. 

I hope that you, in one way or another, will always hold tightly to those mirror friends of yours.









No comments:

Post a Comment